Communications & Policy Internship
Please note that this position is unpaid. Applications for the Winter/Spring 2017 semester will be considered on a rolling basis. Early applications will therefore have an advantage!
- Handle EESI's social media outreach, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts
- Research and write articles on a broad range of energy, environment, and policy issues for EESI.org.
- Topics include: climate change, renewable energy, energy efficiency, sustainable buildings, sustainable communities, sustainable transportation…
- Research and write articles for our weekly newsletter, Climate Change News
- Assist with the outreach for and execution of Congressional briefings and events
- Explore creative ways to engage and expand EESI's network
- Research congressional information: bills, current issues, legislation, policy
- Attend Congressional hearings and other events and brief staff on material covered
- Data entry and other administrative duties
- Other responsibilities as required, based on interest areas and Executive Director’s needs. In particular, interns are invited to research and draft fact sheets and issue briefs that will be distributed to the policymaking community
- Bachelor's or master's degree (or degree in progress) in communications, journalism, political science, environmental studies, or a related field. Applicants with media experience or education are preferred. EESI also offers policy-focused internships
- Interest in environmental and energy issues, with particular enthusiasm for the communication of pertinent information to policymakers and other interested parties
- Strong writing and research skills
- Ability to represent EESI professionally at events on Capitol Hill
- Self-starter, flexible and able to manage multiple tasks
- Open to feedback, with strong desire to develop professional skills
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in a team or independently as needed
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Experience with Photoshop, database, layout and web software, video editing and/or online social media a plus
Internship Application Requirements
This internship requires a commitment of 25-40 hours per week for 10-12 weeks (1 semester), with extensions possible. We prefer full-time commitments. Citizens of any nation may apply, but EESI does not sponsor visas. We offer a friendly, informal and progressive work environment.
To apply please include your name in the subject line of the e-mail. Please submit the following to Amaury Laporte at alaporte [at] eesi.org:
- Cover letter explaining your interests, what you hope to gain, and what you can contribute.
- Please specify when you would be available for the internship and how many hours you could work per week.
- Writing sample in a journalistic style, 1 page maximum.
- Please avoid submitting an academic paper: we are seeking interns with an engaging, reader-friendly style to help get EESI's message across.
- Optional: unofficial transcript
- Optional: list of references
Please remember to include your name in the subject line of the e-mail. The position will be open until filled. This position is unpaid, however we do offer transportation benefits.