Next available position: Summer 2017 semester. Applications due March 31.
Assist EESI Staff with research and writing projects focusing on energy and environmentally-related policy issues including, but not limited to: climate change, sustainable agriculture, sustainable transportation and green communities, smart growth, high performance green buildings, energy efficiency initiatives, renewable energy and other various topics as needed.
Under the supervision of one or more Policy Associates, Policy Interns will:
- Research and write web content on a broad range of energy, environment, and US policy issues.
- Contribute to EESI newsletters, Climate Change News and Sustainable Bioenergy Farms and Forests.
- Attend Congressional hearings, other legislative activities and scientific and policy briefings and share observations with staff verbally or in writing.
- Assist staff in researching program and legislative reports (fact sheets, white papers.)
- Assist with outreach, logistical preparation and execution of EESI sponsored Congressional briefings.
- Identify, monitor and report on relevant science, technology and policy issues.
- Update and maintain social media presence.
- Project-related administrative tasks as necessary.
- Bachelor's or master's degree (or degree in progress) in a field directly related to environmental policy or public policy. (This requirement may be waived for candidates with demonstrated skill, experience, and interest in these fields.)
- Interest in environmental and energy issues, with particular enthusiasm for the communication of pertinent information to policymakers and other interested parties.
- Strong writing and research skills; clear and concise writing is required for newsletters, hearing/briefing write-ups and facts sheets.
- Self-starter, flexible and able to manage multiple tasks
- Open to feedback, with strong desire to develop professional skills
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in a team or independently as needed
- Ability to represent EESI professionally at events on Capitol Hill
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Internship Application Requirements
This internship requires a commitment of 25-40 hours per week for 10-12 weeks, with a possible extension. You will work with EESI Staff on one or more program areas: Energy & Climate, Sustainable Transportation & Communities, High Performance Green Buildings, or Sustainable Biomass & Agriculture. Please specify in your cover letter if you have an interest in a specific program area of focus, or if you have specific qualifications for a particular program area. Please also specify the time period during which you seek to intern. Citizens of any nation, with a valid visa may apply. We offer a friendly, informal and progressive work environment.
To apply please submit the following to Adanna Okpala at aokpala [at] eesi.org. Please include your name in the subject line of the e-mail:
- Cover letter explaining your interests, what you hope to gain, and what you can contribute during an internship with EESI. Please include any specific areas of interest in the energy and environmental field.
- Current resume
- Writing sample, two-to-five pages in length; can be an excerpt of longer paper.
- Unofficial transcript
Please include your name in the subject line of the e-mail. The position is unpaid, however, a transportation benefit is available. Thank you for your interest.