On June 16, 2011, the Sustainable Energy Coalition and U.S. House and Senate Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency Caucuses, in partnership with the House Sustainable Energy and Environment Coalition, House Algae Energy Caucus, House Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Caucus, House High Performance Building Caucus, Green Jobs Caucus and Congressional Peak Oil Caucus, hosted the 14th annual Congressional Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency EXPO + Policy Forum. The EXPO brought together more than 50 businesses, sustainable energy industry trade associations, government agencies, and energy policy research organizations (see list below) to showcase the status and near-term potential of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies. Members of the U.S. Congress, Obama administration, and exhibiting organizations gave presentations on the role sustainable energy technologies can play in stimulating the economy, strengthening national security, protecting the environment, and saving consumers money.
- 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Exhibits open for viewing
- 9:30 a.m. - 11:20 a.m. Morning speakers (located in Room 340, next to the EXPO)
- 11:30 a.m. - 2:15 p.m. Presentations by Members of Congress and Executive Branch Speakers
- 2:20 p.m. - 4:20 p.m. Afternoon speakers (located in Room 340, next to the EXPO)
- Rep. Roscoe Bartlett (R-MD) Video
- Sen. Mark Udall (D-CO) Video
- VADM Dennis McGinn (USN, Retired), President, American Council on Renewable Energy Video
- Jackalyne Pfannenstiel, Assistant Secretary for Energy, Installations and Environment, U.S. Navy Video
- Philip D. Moeller, Commissioner, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Video
- Heather Zichal, Deputy Assistant to the President for Energy and Climate Change Video
- John R. Norris, Commissioner, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Video
- Henry Kelly, Acting Assistant Secretary for Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy, U.S. Department of Energy Video
- Rep. Peter Welch (D-VT) Video
- Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ) Video
- Sharon E. Burke, Assistant Secretary for Operational Energy Plans and Programs, U.S. Department of Defense Video
- Marc Spitzer, Commissioner, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Video
- Scott Sklar, President, The Stella Group, Ltd.
- Karl Gawell, Executive Director, Geothermal Energy Association
- Susan Wickwire, Acting Director, Climate Protection Partnerships Division, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Smart Grid (9:51 - 10:03 a.m.)
- Dan Delurey, Executive Director, Demand Response & Smart Grid Coalition
- Laurie Actman, Director of Strategic Partnerships & Public, Viridity Energy
Biofuels (10:06 - 10:36 a.m.)
- Michael J. McAdams, President, Advanced Biofuels Association
- Tom Buis, CEO, Growth Energy
- Joanne Ivancic, Executive Director, Advanced Biofuels USA
- Greg Dolan, Executive Director, Methanol Institute
- Dawn Fenton, Directory-Policy, Diesel Technology Forum
Energy Efficiency (10:39 - 11:03 a.m.)
- Bruce Salkin, Owner, Enervation, Inc.
- Don Moore, CEO, Harmonics Limited, Inc.
- Thomas Horner, VP Engineering, Water Management, Inc.
- Eric Huffman, Business Development Manager, SUNOPTICS
Community Strategies (11:06 - 11:18 a.m.)
- Mike Kennedy, President, Maryland Energy & Sustainability Co-op
- David Sklar, CEO and Founder, STAR Island Bahamas
- Ruth McCormick, Senior Policy Associate, Business Council for Sustainable Energy
- Manning Feraci, Vice President of Legislative Affairs, Solar Energy Industries Association
Solar (2:35 - 2:47 p.m.)
- Christopher O’Brien, Head of Market Development, Oerlikon Solar
Combined Heat and Power / District Energy (2:50 - 3:08 p.m.)
- Jessica Bridges, Executive Director, U.S. Clean Heat & Power Association
- Rob Thornton, President, International District Energy Association
- Ken Smith, President and CEO, District Energy St. Paul
Hydropower / Ocean Power (3:11 - 3:30 p.m.)
- Linda Church Ciocci, Executive Director, National Hydropower Association
- Gia Schneider, Chairman and CEO, Natel Energy, Inc.
- Sean O’Neill, President, Ocean Renewable Energy Coalition
Fuel Cells (3:33 - 3:45 p.m.)
- Ruth Cox, Executive Director, Fuel Cell & Hydrogen Energy Association
- Robert Rose, Executive Director, Breakthrough Technologies Institute
Passive Solar / Intelligent Design (3:48 - 4:00 p.m.)
- Michael Hindle, Chair, Mid-Atlantic Passive House Alliance
- Asit Parikh, Partner, Zenesis Design/Build
Biogas / Biomass (4:03 - 4:20 p.m.)
- Daniel S. Henry, VP Chief Technical Officer, Hearth & Home Technologies
- Melissa VanOrnum, Marketing Manager, GHD, Inc.
- Nora Goldstein, Board Member, American Biogas Council
Related Media Coverage
- Clean Energy Sparks Jobs, Economic Growth by Ying-Na Li, Green Solutions Magazine
- FCHEA Recap: Sustainable Energy Coalition's 14th Annual Congressional Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency EXPO by Philippe Clary, Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Energy Association
- Does Congress Have the Energy? by Consolations at the End of the World blog
- The 14th Annual Congressional Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency EXPO & Policy Forum by Renewable Energy World
Founded in 1992, the Sustainable Energy Coalition is a coalition of 23 national business, environmental, and energy policy organizations supporting aggressive development of renewable energy and energy efficient technologies. EESI is on the steering committee of the Sustainable Energy Coalition and chaired the morning and afternoon panel discussions.